YCDSB congratulates all the YCDSB students who participated in record numbers this year in the annual York Region Science and Technology Fair, held April 7. After three rounds of judging and many questions, YCDSB students took home an impressive number of medals and awards for their projects, as follows:
Gold Medal Winner
Mira Bhattacharya of St. Therese de Lisieux CHS won a Gold Medal and a York Region Sci-Tech Fair Travel Award for her project, “Natural Polymers and Absorption.”
Mira’s Gold Medal win qualifies her to represent York Region at the Canada Wide Science Fair taking place in Ottawa from May 12 – 19, 2018. All expenses will be covered thanks to the generous sponsors of the York Regions Sci-Tec Fair and their sponsors.
Silver Medal Winners
- Jonathan Shenouda of St. Therese de Lisieux CHS . for “The Flu, a Cure for Cancer?”
- Leo Xie of St. Robert CHS for “Practical Solution for Geese Excrement.”
- Ahmed Nadeem of St. Robert CHS, for “Harnessing Solar Energy with Solar A to Fuel the Environmental Future.”
- Braden R. of St. Charles Garnier CES for “Acoustic Levitation.”
Bronze Medal Winners
- Jenson C. of St. Justin Martyr CES, for “Mold Growth on Different Types of Bread” and the York University Science Exploration Camp Award.
- Colin W. and Nicholas L. of St. Justin Martyr CES for their project, “Testing the effectiveness of standard de-icers in comparison to Eco-Friendly De-icers” and they received the Water Docs Award, which is awarded to a deserving water related project.
- Samantha O. and Stephanie L. of St. Justin Martyr CES, who won for their project, “Trash Can 2.0” and The Home Innovation Award which is presented to a project that best demonstrates innovation in the area of home improvements and/or the development of sustainable homes.
- Patricia R. of St. Justin Martyr CES. for her project, “Bioengineering Yeast with CRISPR: The Future Biological Factories of Mars.”
- Catalina Musteata of Cardinal Carter CES won for, “The Proof is in the Prints: A study in Fingerprint Genetics.”
- Emma D. and Aneira C. of St. Michael the Archangel CES won for “The Transmission Cube.”
Bernadette Cheng and John Amalraj of St. Augustine CHS received Honourable Mention for their project, “Blinding.”
The Board thanks organizer Pierre Tacchino, Teacher at St. Theresa of Lisieux CHS, and our Board’s YRSTF Representative.