Roles and Duties of the Board of Trustees
- To function as a corporate board, being the legislative source of all decisions. Individual trustees are granted no
authority through the Education Act;
- To develop, maintain, monitor and evaluate policies and organizational structures that support and promote the
system goals of quality learning by all, building communities of faith and operating safe and caring schools;
- To act as stewards of Catholic Education by ensuring that:
- gospel values are embedded in all policies and practices
- provincial curriculum is taught by Catholic teachers from a uniquely Catholic perspective
- support is provided for faith formation of students and staff
- active collaboration is undertaken with our Catholic community to strengthen the Home/School/Parish relationship
- To hire and evaluate the Director of Education, who is responsible for the day-to-day management of the system
(i.e. the implementation of approved Board policies, plans and strategies);
- To develop a shared vision and multi-year strategic plan promoting student achievement and attainment of the
Ontario Catholic Graduate Expectations;
- To provide effective and accountable stewardship of the Board’s fiscal resources;
- To ensure there is a process in place to allow individual trustees to bring forward their community’s perspective prior to a corporate board decision.
What does this mean for Catholic families in York Region?
The YCDSB has established policies and procedures to ensure that parents will have their specific questions answered and/or concerns addressed. Trustees are always willing to listen to parental concerns,
especially those pertaining to Board policy. Trustees will be referring parents to the following protocol with respect to individual school-based concerns:
- Your classroom teacher and/or school principal is the first point of contact for any questions or concerns you may have;
- Should you need further assistance, your Area Superintendent of Education is available to assist you;
- In the event of any outstanding question and/or concern, please contact Silvana Greco for assistance;
- The Director of Education, Patricia Preston, is always available for consultation and assistance with unresolved issues.