The York Catholic District School Board is excited to announce that two of its students recently took home gold medals from the province-wide Skills Ontario Competition and a third student earned a silver medal! All three students attend St. Jean de Brebeuf CHS in Vaughan.
The Skills Ontario Competition offers elementary and secondary students an opportunity to compete against other students from across the province in various trades and technology competitions. Between April – May 2021, 14 York Catholic students competed in virtual competitions either by live participation or project submission. Winners were recently announced during a live stream closing ceremonies event on May 12, 2021.
Arielle Smith, Grade 10 student at St. Jean de Brebeuf CHS who won a GOLD medal for her medal design. Skills Ontario selected and manufactured her design to be given out as the gold, silver and bronze medal award for all other competitions. Arielle’s medal design was chosen from submissions made by both secondary and post-secondary students. Her teacher-mentor was Lara Gudelj.
Theodora Kalamaris, Grade 10 student at St. Jean de Brebeuf CHS who won a GOLD medal for her pin design. This design was selected and manufactured to be given out to teachers who mentored award-winning students. Theodora’s design was chosen from submissions made by both secondary and post-secondary students. Her teacher-mentor was Lara Gudelj.
Rachel Gaspar, Grade 11 student at St. Jean de Brebeuf CHS who won a SILVER medal in the Job Interview competition. This is her second year in a row winning a silver medal. Her teacher-mentor was Natalie Spremulli-Di Donato.
Well done Arielle, Theodora and Rachel!
11 other York Catholic students competed in various competitions, they include:
- Angelica Audia from St. Jean de Brebeuf CHS who competed in Hairstyling
- Evan Espinola and Brandon Liang from Cardinal Carter CHS who competed in 2D animation
- Vanessa Quattrociocchi from Cardinal Carter CHS who competed in Photography
- Ella Strillec from Cardinal Carter CHS who competed in Photography
- Amanda Sabatino from St. Jean de Brebeuf CHS who competed in Photography
- James Spizzirri from St. Jean de Brebeuf CHS who competed in Graphic Design Studio
- Michael Antunes from St. Maximilian Kolbe CHS who competed in Graphic Design Presentation
- Dami Awoleye from Cardinal Carter CHS who competed in Architectural Design and Technology
- Emily Rampersaud from Our Lady Queen of the World CHS who competed in Job Interview
- Mathew Estafanous from St. Theresa of Lisieux CHS who competed in Coding
The York Catholic District School Board congratulates and thanks all of the students and teacher-mentors who participated in this year’s Skills Competition.