The Board of Trustees of the York Catholic District School Board (YCDSB) is proud to announce the recipients of their Distinguished Alumni Awards for 2022.
Since 2005, recipients are chosen from submissions to an open nomination campaign, held this year from February 4th-28th to overwhelming response from across York Region.
The annual honour showcases the significant contribution that publicly-funded Catholic education makes to diverse sectors including the arts, sports, science/technology, broadcasting, medicine and philanthropy. In a special kickoff to Catholic Education Week celebrations (May 1st-6th), YCDSB pays tribute to alumni who have achieved a high level of professional success, making valuable and unique contributions, both in Canada and globally.
The YCDSB 2022 Distinguished Alumni:
- Andre De Grasse – Olympic Medalist/ Philanthropist/ Author: Father Michael McGivney CA (Markham)
- Cassondra Fonseca – Electrical Engineer/ Founder, Camp Engies: St. Augustine CHS (Markham)
- Dr. Kieran Moore – Chief Medical Officer of Health of Ontario: St.Robert CES (Thornhill)
- Cheryl Perera – Founder, President OneChild Foundation: St. Robert CHS (Thornhill)
- John Van Teunenbroek – Grocer/Community Leader: Sacred Heart CHS (Newmarket)
Each YCDSB Distinguished Alumni honoree joins a powerful group of influencers from years past, all setting a tremendous example of leadership as Catholic global citizens. Demonstrating an enduring commitment to YCDSB Catholic Graduate Expectations, they have applied advanced creative and critical thinking skills and foundational Catholic Values to their daily life and work.
The Catholic Virtue of COURAGE:
“I will stand up for what I know is right and just. I will face challenges, fears and difficulties with fortitude. I will take responsibility for reaching my potential.”
These ambassadors for York Catholic have taken the Catholic Virtue of Courage into the world and flourished; developing their God-given talents, and bringing the best of themselves to every opportunity, and every challenge.