In June we commemorate National Indigenous History Month. During this month, the York Catholic District School Board (YCDSB) takes time to recognize and celebrate the rich heritage, history, and diversity of Indigenous Peoples across Canada and in our YCDSB community.
It is an important opportunity to learn more about the distinct cultures, languages and experiences of Indigenous Peoples, as well as how their contributions and achievements have shaped our province and country.
During National Indigenous History Month, the YCDSB community will have the opportunity to learn about, appreciate and acknowledge the many contributions of Indigenous Peoples.
Indigenous Peoples continue to inspire us with their wisdom and steadfast commitment to their values. By deepening our collective understanding and appreciation of Indigenous histories, strengths and contributions, as a YCDSB community we continue to actively embrace the journey towards advancing the process of truth and reconciliation.
Resources provided by the Government of Canada:
- Indigenous history
- National Indigenous Peoples Day – June 21st
- Influential Indigenous Peoples
- United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples
- Delivering on Truth and Reconciliation Commission Calls to Action
- Discover Indigenous culture and history along the TransCanada Trail