The recreational use of cannabis will become legal in Canada on October 17, 2018. Here’s what members of our York Catholic community should know.
- Cannabis and products that contain cannabis are prohibited on all YCDSB school and Board properties and at all school-related events and activities. Any person found with cannabis and/or products that contain cannabis on school or board property will face disciplinary action, similar to if they were found with alcohol.
- Any person found impaired by cannabis while on school or Board property and at school-related events and activities will face disciplinary action, similar to if they were found intoxicated by alcohol.
- According to YCDSB’s Police-School Protocol, criminal charges will be considered for possession of, and/or intoxication from, cannabis.
- Suspension will be required, and expulsion may be considered, if a student gives cannabis to a minor.
- In Ontario, you must be 19 years of age or older to buy, use, possess and/or cultivate cannabis for recreational purposes. This is the same as the minimum age laws for tobacco and alcohol.
- Using cannabis and driving is illegal and dangerous. Ontario has established new, tougher drug-impaired driving laws, including zero tolerance for young, novice and commercial drivers.
What are the unique risks of cannabis use for youth?
Youth are especially vulnerable to the effects of cannabis since brain development is not complete until about the age of 25. Youth who use cannabis early and often are at risk of long-term health and social problems.
Cannabis can harm the ability to think, make decisions, concentrate and remember. It can slow reaction time, affect the ability to drive and impair performance in sports and school.
Below are some resources that contain additional information about cannabis use, its risks, and laws.
Cannabis: What Parents/Guardians and Caregivers Need to Know (Centre for Addiction and Mental Health, Ministry of Education and School Mental Health ASSIST)
Talking With Teenagers About Drugs (Government of Canada)
Cannabis: Important Things To Know (Kids Help Phone)
Cannabis Legalization (Province of Ontario)