“We cannot tolerate or turn a blind eye to racism and exclusion in any form and yet claim to defend the sacredness of every human life.”Pope Francis (June 3, 2020)
The Office of Human Rights, Equity, Diversity and Inclusion (HEDI) is an arm’s length office at the York Catholic District School Board (YCDSB) which promotes and protects the human rights of all students, and staff by building and fostering an equitable, diverse, and inclusive community. We do not advocate for any individual or group. We advocate for fairness and for a community where the dignity and human rights of all its members are respected and upheld.
HEDI’s independence and impartiality is critical to the sense of fairness and unbiased integrity with which the office must conduct its work.
Expectations for 2020-2021 School Year
- Raise awareness on human rights and equity by providing education, consultation and information on Human Right and Equity related issues across the Board.
- Create and implement the Human Rights, Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Advisory Committee.(HEDIAC).
- Create and implement the creation of the HEDI Steering committees.
- Support the development and implementation of each pillars plan for the year.
- Develop and implement surveys to collect data to identify the immediate needs of each school as per the 8 pillars of HEDIAC.
- Oversee the collection and analysis of census data to identify and address systemic organizational and attitudinal barriers.
- Support Board efforts to meet its responsibilities under the Ontario data standards for the identification and monitoring of systemic racism.
- Support and provide guidance on equitable teaching and learning by focusing on culturally responsive and relevant pedagogy (CRRP).
- Collaborate with various departments to incorporate principles of equity and inclusion into our core business of providing an accountable informed education for all students. ( Religion/ guidance/ librarians/ art).
- Develop a web presence.
- Implement a Case Management tool to support the complaints process.
- Develop a series of information sessions – “The Human Rights and Equity Series”.
- Develop and create an equity lens to be applied to the development review and revision of all Board policies, procedures and guidelines.
- Develop and implement a human rights complaint policy- process and procedure.
- In consultation with a consultant produce mandatory modules on anti-black racism.