Bundle up, walk and roll to school, and enjoy the winter season! Winter Walk Day is celebrated by schools across Canada on the first Wednesday of February each year, and this year STA will join in on the fun. Walking/ wheeling to school is healthy, environmentally friendly, and great for getting to know the neighbourhood and creating community connections. This year, Winter Walk Day is on February 5, 2020.
Anytime you head outside, it’s important to dress for the weather. Here are some great winter weather dressing tips from Green Communities Canada:
- Keep hands and head covered to prevent heat loss
- Wear warm, waterproof boots
- Wear a warm coat that deflects the wind
- Woolen clothing helps to retain heat
- On really cold days, wear a scarf over your face and mouth
- If possible, change wet clothes at school
- Wear clothing or carry knapsacks with reflective material – it’s important to be seen
- Below -25 degrees Celsius is considered too cold for walking, so move your walk indoors or select another day
In winter conditions, use extra precaution and be mindful of how ice and snow may impact your travel.
Show us how you’re celebrating!
Share your Winter Walk Day photos with us by tweeting @STA_ycdsb using the hashtag #walktoschool