What is the Parent Involvement Committee?
The York Catholic Parent Involvement Committee (YCPIC) was formed as an advisory body whose primary purpose is to promote effective parent involvement, enabling parents to play a stronger role in supporting student achievement.
Parent Engagement means
- Making learning an important part of a child’s day
- Supporting students at home and at school
- Participating in the life of the classroom, school, and community
How Parent engagement is building student success?
When parents are involved in their children’s education, everyone benefits – students, parents, teachers, schools and communities.
The York Catholic District School Board is committed to working together with parents in partnership to promote faith formation and student learning. Encouragement to participate in your children’s education is a prime concern for the Board and to this end many initiatives have been started in the past and many more are planned for the near future. Catholic school councils have been active in our schools since 1995 and the scope of their accomplishments in promoting the faith; academic excellence and parental involvement have been awesome.
A parent advisory board has been formed emerging from the Ministry of Education policy on parental involvement has begun within the Board and this has taken the form of a Parental Involvement Committee – PIC. PIC is an official committee of the Board and meets regularly during the school year.
What is PIC?
PIC is a committee of parents who have been meeting regularly throughout the current school year. The first members of PIC were appointed by the Board from current school councils with future PIC members to be elected from within the Board. The mandate of YCPIC is to increase parental involvement in all schools within the board and to make that involvement meaningful and productive for student learning and engagement. Parent Involvement Committees are required to advise the Director of Education for the Board on ways to increase parental involvement.
Keynote Speaker, Jennifer Casa-Todd
- Parent and educator specialized in social media and its use in education
- Presenter and featured speaker across Canada and the USA
- Author of Social LEADia
- your child’s/teenager’s using social media in a positive way
- good and bad social media apps
- limiting your child’s/teenager’s screen time on social media
- your child’s/teenager’s profile on social media