A Centre for Reception, Assessment and Placement of all Newcomer Secondary Students
Assessments are being conducted at the CEC. Please contact us for an appointment.
905-713-1211 ext. 12433 or 416-221-5050 ext. 12433 or firstname.lastname@example.org
About our Secondary Newcomer Reception Centre
We are located on the main floor of the Catholic Education Centre at 320 Bloomington Road West in Aurora. We welcome Newcomer families and assess students for the purpose of placement in high school.
- Welcome the students and family in a safe, caring and faith-filled environment, provide a smooth transition for students into our schools, and lessen the anxiety level of those new or returning to Canada.
- Provide effective reception, assessment and placement of Newcomer students at the secondary level.
- Support schools in the placement and monitoring of students.
- Family/student orientation to the Ontario education system and to York Catholic schools
- Review of student’s documentation
- English and Mathematics assessment
- Recommendation for school & program placement
- Recommendation for equivalent high school credits
- Referral to additional programs and services, if required (e.g. Multilingual Services, Settlement Services, Adult & Continuing Education, etc.)
- Placement follow-up
Who Should be Referred to the Reception Centre
Students who may need support in becoming proficient in English. This includes:
- Students entering Canada for the first time or re-entering.
- Students who recently arrived in Canada within the last 3 years, but are originally from a country whose primary language is one other than English.
- Students from French language schools in Canada.