Please note that at least one parent/guardian (with identification) must accompany the student to the assessment
Students are required to complete an initial assessment in English proficiency (reading, writing, listening and speaking) and Mathematics. This may take 3-4 hours. No preparation is required.
The results are used to help with the student’s English and Math placement at the receiving school. Also, the assessment provides the school with valuable background information such as:
- Educational history
- Academic strengths and weaknesses
- Possible Special Education needs
- Exposure to English instruction
- Education plan
- Other factors that could affect schooling
What Happens After the Assessment
The assessment teacher will:
- Provide feedback to the student and family regarding assessment results, recommended equivalencies, and placement recommendations.
- Provide the family with a referral package to bring to the receiving school.
- Provide the receiving school with a detailed report regarding the placement.
ESL/ELD Centre Schools
- Father Michael McGivney Catholic Academy
- Our Lady Queen of the World Catholic Academy
- Sacred Heart Catholic High School
- St. Elizabeth Catholic High School
- St. Joan of Arc Catholic High School
- St. Robert Catholic High School
All other students will be placed at their home school. Please note that the home school is based on the home address (exception: International VISA students).