The Plant Department is the professional team achieving excellence in building services. Through effective communication, planning and use of resources we are responsible for ensuring a clean, safe and healthy environment for our students, staff and communities.
Reporting of Emergencies
During the Day
905-713-1211 Ext: 12317
After Hours and Weekends – Notify Monitoring Station
(4:30 pm to 7:00 am: Monday to Friday and on Weekends)
Please call in the event of the following emergencies:
- Gas leak
- No heat in entire school
- No power in entire school
- Cannot secure school / broken windows
Monitoring Station – API Alarms Inc
416-736-3000 or 1-877-787-5237
State location and reason for call and Operator will contact the YCDSB On-Call Supervisor.
Maintenance & Capital Services
Maintenance and Capital Services staff provide services and capital improvements for the safe, effective and efficient maintenance and operation of all schools including the Education Centre.
The Facilities Service Unit provides a clean, healthy and safe learning environment for students, staff and the community.
The Building Systems Unit (BSU) provides services to ensure efficient operation of Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning (HVAC) systems and its associated subsystems
Note: Any requests for service relating to Maintenance, Facilities and Building must be submitted by the school through the work order system. No phone calls please.
The Environmental and Office Services Department is dedicated to providing leadership in the areas of Energy Management and Conservation, Waste Management and Recycling at the York Catholic District School Board. In our daily activities we strive to promote Environmental Stewardship, Sustainability Principles and Ecological Literacy amongst all staff and students. We are committed to viewing all actions through an environmental lens and to heighten awareness about the impact of human actions on the environment by introducing and implementing innovative programs. We work as a collaborative environmental advisor to support other departments in informed governance and to safeguard and enhance the Board’s physical plant and infrastructure.
Energy & Conservation
- Administers Electricity, Gas and Water conservation and management.
- Implements technical solutions for energy efficiency and conservation.
- Promotes awareness about energy use and its impact on the environment through innovative projects such as “Energy Champions”.
- Initiates Renewable Energy projects to reduce our carbon footprint and to engage students and staff in Environmental Stewardship.
- Actively supports environmental curriculum integration with all conservation projects.
Waste & Recycling
- Actively promotes waste reduction and recycling in all YCDSB locations.
- Encourages participation in the Ontario EcoSchools program through ongoing support and education.
- Performs and analyzes regular waste audits to ensure compliance with MOE (Ministry of the Environment) regulations.
- Promotes participation in municipal blue box programs at all locations.
- Investigates waste diversion programs (i.e. organic recycling)
- Supports school ground greening initiatives.
Community Use of Schools
Ontario’s schools are community hubs where all people can gather to learn and participate in a range of activities offered by community organizations. Policy #703 – Community Use of Schools clarifies the guidelines through which Board facilities may be used for community purposes. The YCDSB allows designated facilities to be used by the community during those times that such facilities are not required for school/Board purposes.