The York Catholic District School Board (YCDSB) is an approved provider of accredited Schedule C (one-part) & Schedule D (three-part) Additional Qualification (AQ) courses for Ontario teachers. The courses are open to all teachers certified by and in good standing with the Ontario College of Teachers (OCT) who meet the registration requirements prior to the AQ course commencing. AQ courses represent 125 hours of professional learning rooted in pedagogy and professional practice. These are in accordance with Ontario Regulations 176/10: Teachers’ Qualification under the Ontario College of Teachers Act as well as the Standards of Practice for the Teaching Profession: Commitment to Students and Student Learning; Leadership in Learning Communities; Ongoing Professional Learning; Professional Knowledge; and Professional Practice.
Professional learning is an integral part of the teaching profession. We expect all members will participate in ongoing learning throughout their careers, with the goal of improving outcomes for Ontario students.
Ontario College of Teachers
AQ candidates from YCDSB and external candidates, wishing to take an AQ with YCDSB are required to have a Registration and Payment Account on the AQ Registration and Payment Website.
- YCDSB employees, please visit the AQ Registration and Payment Website and enter the following credentials in the Login box to enable your account:
- Username: your firstname.lastname@example.org email address (eg. email@example.com)
- Password: your computer password (the one used for Maplewood, MyPortal, etc.)
- Non-YCDSB employees: Create an account on the AQ Registration and Payment Website.
Once you have logged in to the AQ Registration and Payment Website, you may put in your registration request for the AQ course and Session that is being offered (either Fall, or Spring, or Summer) by the Registration Request Deadline below. Please note the following:
- by registering for an AQ you are authorizing tuition payment as well;
- you may make changes to your registration request (such as cancellation without penalty) until the Registration Deadline. Please refer to the Tuition Refund Schedule
- Tuition payment will be processed after the Registration Request Deadline only for courses that have been confirmed. See AQ Registration and Payment Information for more details on this process;
- Eligibility: It is the responsibility of the candidate to ensure that they are eligible for the AQ prior to registering.
- All AQ prerequisites must be completed prior to registration. Part 2/Specialist AQs, includes a Certificate of Successful Teaching Experience which is automatically created as part of the registration process. You will receive a copy of this form when you complete your registration.
- Required number of teaching days for one successful teaching year, for Part 2 courses: 194
- Required number of teaching days for two successful teaching years, for Specialist courses: 388 (with 194 days in the subject of specialization).
- YCDSB Employees: No further action is required
- Non YCDSB Employees: Please submit to your Superintendent of Human Resources and return to firstname.lastname@example.org by the payment processing date
- All AQ courses are offered online (synchronously and asynchronously) until further notice and attendance at all synchronous classes is mandatory (refer to Attendance and Accommodation Procedure);
- Courses are subject to sufficient enrolment. Part 1 and/or Part 2 and/or Specialist courses may be combined to meet minimum enrolment numbers or courses may be deferred to a future session.
2022-2023 Session Dates
|Registration Request Deadline||Payment Processing|
|October 3, 2022||December 12, 2022||
September 18, 2022
(Registration opens August 29, 2022)
|Week of September 19, 2022|
|February 6, 2023||April 24, 2023||
January 22, 2023
(Registration opens January 1, 2023)
|Week of January 23, 2023|
Daily 8:30 am – 3:30 pm
|July 3, 2023||July 24, 2023||
June 24, 2023
(Registration opens May 15, 2023)
|Week of June 5, 2023|
2023 Spring Course Offerings
|Health and Physical Education, P/J, Part 1|
|Health and Physical Education, P/J, Part 2|
|Health and Physical Education, P/J, Specialist|
|Integration of Information and Computer Technology in Instruction, Part 1|
|Integration of Information and Computer Technology in Instruction, Part 2|
|Integration of Information and Computer Technology in Instruction, Specialist|
|Kindergarten, Part 1|
|Mathematics Grade 7 & 8|
|Mathematics Primary/Junior, Part 1|
|Mathematics Primary/Junior, Part 2|
|Mathematics Primary/Junior, Specialist|
|Reading, Part 1|
|Religious Education in Catholic Schools, Part 1|
|Religious Education in Catholic Schools, Part 2|
|Religious Education in Catholic Schools, Specialist|
|Special Education for Administrators|
|Special Education, Part 1|
|Special Education, Part 2|
|Special Education, Specialist|
|Teaching Students with Behavioural Needs|
|Teaching Students with Communication Needs (Autism Spectrum Disorders)|
|The Learning Environment|