York Catholic District School Board’s Guidance and Career Education strives to provide parents, students and teachers with links to important information on academic, career and interpersonal development. Use these valuable resources to plan for present and future education. In addition, contact your school for specific information and assistance with educational planning.
The following links provide information on academic planning, improving academic performance, and general academic educational information.
- Ontario Secondary Schools, Grades 9-12 – Program and Diploma Requirements 1999 in Ontario
- Choices Into Action – Guidance and Career Education Program Policy for Ontario Elementary and Secondary Schools 1999
- EDU Course Profiles – course requirements and content
- Student’s Course Planner – assists in planning a secondary program
- York Catholic District School Board Adult & Continuing Education information on summer school and night school
- Independent Learning Centre – provides information on distance education
- Crossover Materials consists of earning activities for students changing course types from Grade 9 to Grade 10.
Post Secondary Resources
- Black Foundation of Community Networks (BFCN) Scholarship Directory – A scholarship directory for students who are pursuing post-secondary undergraduate education in Canada.
- CanLearn – this federal government site provides information on post secondary study
- EduPass – provides information on the documentation required for study in the U.S.
- NCAA – provides information for student athletes looking for athletic scholarships
- Ontario College Application Services – applicants for college must use this site
- Ontario College Websites – links to Ontario colleges
- Ontario Student Assistance Plan (OSAP) – provides government financial assistance
- Ontario Universities – links to Ontario Public University addresses and websites.
- Ontario University Application Centre – applicants for university must use this site
- SAT’s – apply online to write the SATs required for study in the U.S.
- Scholarships Canada – provides information on scholarship availability
- Universities Canada – learn about Canadian post secondary schools
- World Wide Classroom – provides links to schools around the world
The following links will provide information on personal career planning, developing educational pathways and general career information.
- Career Cruising – provides career information- see school for login info
- Student Counsellor – provides career information- see school for login info
- Career Gateway – provides career information from Ministry of Education
- Career Matters – provides career information from TV Ontario
- Career Directions – provides career information from Canada Career Consortium
- Career Studies Course Profile– provides the curriculum for the Career Studies course
- Preparing For Employment – assists in applying fora job or career
- Passport to Prosperity – outlines secondary school work experience opportunities
- Job Futures – occupational information from the Canadian federal government
- Mazemaster – a career site from Human Resources Development Canada
- Job Bank – job search site from the Canadian federal government
- neuvoo – Neuvoo has over 300,000 jobs in Canada including numerous intern and co-op positions
- YCDSB Cooperative Education– our board’s information on cooperative education
- Prospects – career planning guide from the Ministry of Education
- OYAP – our board’s information on the Ontario Youth Apprenticeship Program
- Apprenticeship – information on apprenticeship opportunities
- Apprenticeship Pathways – document which provides suggested pathways for careers
The following links will provide information on counselling and community services, personal and family support, and accessing emergency support.
- Catholic Community Services – provides information on social services offered
- Kinark – dedicated to helping families make it through difficult times
- Parents For Youth –dedicated to helping parents of behaviourally difficult youth
- Settlement Support – provides information for new community members
- York Region Police – get police information through this site
- York Region Children’s Aid Society – provides services for the protection of children
- Kids Help Phone – provides a person to speak to when in need
- 310-COPE – provides for immediate crisis support 24 hours a day
- Parents Help Line – offers parents and caregivers access to information & support
- Telehealth Ontario – free access to a registered nurse 24 hours a day
- Canadian Mental Health Association – provides information on mental health issues